Thursday 30 October 2014

A great little tip for growing fresh lettuce

A great little tip for growing fresh lettuce.  Instead of buying plantlets from DIY stores and garden centres, keep your eyes out for plastic trays of mini-lettuces in supermarkets.  I've bought these in Sainsbury's, but I assume other supermarkets do something similar.

They are designed for consumption as a salad, but it is easy to divide them up and re-put them on in a good compost.  You can get about fifteen plants from a tray.  The good news is that  a tray brought this way only cost a pound or two.


One tray, which I bought sometime in April, saw my family through to the end of September in fresh lettuce, all for about £1.50!  

If you try it this time of year, I suspect that they will need to be planted under glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment. It is genuinely appreciated.